Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Slipknot - 9.0: Live (CD)

You had to know that these nine masked marauders from Des Moines, Iowa would release a live album sooner or later, and when they did it would be something special, right? Unfortunately for me, this double disc CD turned out to be just a little dissapointing.
Taken from various live shows (including one from the recent concert in Singapaore which I missed by just a day!), this double CD compilation shows how awesome experiancing a live Slipknot show can be, as bands can usually let loose when live on stage as compared to studio recordings. No complaints here as all the blast beats of Joey Jordison's double bass drum assault as well as Mick Thompson and James Root's axe attack are all intact, giving the songs heavier tones at times.
The only thing I would have to complain about is singer Corey Taylor's vocals. His trademark growls and screams sound more like out of breath screetching and it sort of takes away from the songs for me. Granted Corey knows how to command the crowd, but it kind of mars things when it sounds like he can't keep up at times cause he's running out of breath.
Comparing the materials from all three of their albums here, it's also quite clear (for me anyway) that the material from their first self titled major studio release is still far superior against most of the material from the past two albums and I really wish they would go back in that direction, as you could also hear more of DJ Sid Wilson's turn tables and Craig Jones' samples.
Overall, die-hard Slipknot fans won't want to miss out on this, but as much of a fan as I am of the band, I would probably pass on it if I had to pay full price for it.
CD Rating: **

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home